Get to Know Carolyn
Carolyn O’Neal Hines was born and raised in Alexandria, Louisiana to a Peruvian mother and American father. Her parents met in Venezuela while her mother was in college and her father was starting his career in Engineering. They were married shortly after and her mother immigrated to the United States as a spouse of a US Citizen. Her Spanish relatives thereafter immigrated as well creating a multicultural upbringing which created a love and passion for her Hispanic roots as well as fluency in the Spanish language.
She attended and graduated from Holy Savior Menard Central High School in 2004 and then went on to Louisiana College where she obtained a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration in 2008. Next, she pursued her legal studies at Southern University Law Center graduating with honors (cum laude) in 2011. While attending law school she was a teaching assistance for two years in courses such as, obligations, torts, and family law. She was an active member of Phi Alpha Delta, Southern University Women in Law, and the Business Law Society. She was also awarded the CALI award for exceptional performance in Constitutional Law. After completing law school, she had the honor of becoming a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Judge Mary Lauve Doggett at the Ninth Judicial District Court in Rapides, Parish, State of Louisiana. Thereafter, she began practicing in various areas of the law, but primarily focusing on family law, criminal law, personal injury and immigration law matters.
Carolyn has a passion for helping others and is dedicated to providing compassionate, professional and effective legal representation. In addition to her private practice, she is also currently employed as a part-time staff attorney with Catholic Charities of the Dioceses of Baton Rouge providing a legal orientation program to detained individuals in the LaSalle and Pine Prairie Detention Facilities in Spanish and English, which provides these individuals with an overview of the removal process, their rights, and possibly forms of relief.
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Courts in Louisiana, including the Louisiana Supreme Court, Louisiana Courts of Appeal, District Courts, & City Courts
- All Immigration Courts
- United States District Court, Western District of Louisiana
Professional & Civic Activities
- Alexandria Bar Association – Executive Council 2016 - 2018
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Louisiana Association of Justice (Louisiana Trial Lawyers’ Association) 2013 - 2016
- American Immigration Lawyers’ Association 2017 - 2018
- Board of Directors for Montessori Educational Center 2013 - 2016
Areas of Expertise
Auto Accidents, Family Law, Criminal Law, Marriage Visas, Family Type Visas, Fiancé Visas, Asylum, Immigration Detention & Removal
- Southern University Law Center, Juris Doctor 2011, Cum Laude
- Louisiana College, Bachelors of Science in Public Administration, 2008
- Holy Savior Menard High School, 2004
- Fluent in Spanish